Monday 15 April 2013

Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013)


 I have always loved the story of the Wizard of Oz. When I was a child, it was one of my favourite movies and my Grandmother used to sing 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' to me as a lullaby (aww). Now, as an adult, Wicked is one of my favourite musicals (back to musicals again, sorry about that) and I must have seen the original Judy Garland film hundreds of time. Therefore, this film appealed to me on all levels really and when one of my friends said she wanted to see it, I offered to go with her.

 This is basically the prequel to the classic 1939 movie. It tells the tale of how the Wizard came to the land of Oz and how the Wicked Witch of the West got her name. Oz is played by James Franco whose balloon gets caught up in a tornado and is transported to the land of Oz, just like Dorothy. He is greeted by Theodora (Mila Kunis), one of three sisters who also happen to be witches, and she explains to him how the world is being plagued by her sister who has turned evil. The other two sisters are played by Michelle Williams and Rachel Weisz, although I won't tell you who is the 'evil' one. Anyway, he is given the challenge of ridding Oz of this evil force and on his journey on the yellow brick road he is joined by a talking, flying monkey (played by Zach Braff) and a talking china doll.

 To look at, this film is spectacular. Nothing was spared on the special effects and it certainly pays off. They are truly incredible and some of the wider landscape shots are genuinely outstanding. The only point where the special effects don't quite work is when James Franco picks up the china doll. Obviously this is always going to be difficult but it is clear that the doll has been put in in post-production and that he is just placing his hands in a position that might be right, but he's not quite sure.

 Now onto the acting, which is where this film falls to its knee a bit for me. In all honesty, when I think of great acting talent James Franco is not a name that springs to mind, and that is very evident throughout this film. I'm not sure if he was doing it on purpose or that's just how he is, but everything was waaaaay over the top and very unnatural. Seen as the film is completely based around his character, having to have him on screen all the time annoyed the living daylights out of me. I also wish I could say that this distinct lack of acting ability was made up by the performances of everyone else in the film, but unfortunately that isn't the case. They are better than he is, I will give them that, but every actor just seems very out of place with their role. Maybe it's to do with the fact that it is supposed to be in a different land so the people are a bit strange and not quite the like people from Kansas (although in all fairness, I have never met anyone from Kansas so for all I know they could all be mental...but I'm sure they're not, wouldn't want to offend anyone). I guess it's just a shame to have a film that could've been so good let down by the performances of the people in it.

 Overall, I would say that this film is good, but it is nothing special. Great effects are well and truly overshadowed by terrible acting making for a film that I would only advise you to watch if you don't have to pay for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment