Monday 15 April 2013

Hard Candy (2005)


 I have wanted to see this film in a long time. I had always heard great things about it but had never had the thought to watch it when it came to deciding what film to see. That and I had heard it was pretty violent and disturbing (and let's face it, you have to be in the right kind of mood to watch one of those types of film). Anyway, I got to a point where if I looked at the statistics I had to do for University one more time my laptop would've experienced what it's like to fly, so I took a break and watched a movie.

 'Hard Candy' stars Ellen Page as Hayley, a young 14 year old girl who has met Jeff (Patrick Wilson), a 30 something year old man, on an internet chat room. The film starts with their first meeting in a coffee shop with them discussing movies and school and their favourite music. This prompts Hayley to return to Jeff's house to share some of their music tastes, but when they get there it is clear that Hayley's motive is not necessarily as it seems when Hayley ties Jeff up and starts torturing him (fun).

 Lets start with what I had previously been told about this films depiction of torture. Yes, it does include torture and yes, there will be some scenes in which you will wince or flinch especially if you are a man watching this movie (one word...castration). However, it is nowhere near as bad as I had somehow managed to convince myself it would be. Nothing is actually portrayed on screen, with the director David Slade cleverly leaving it all to your imagination.

 The story is also very captivating (although not terrifying as it is portrayed on the posters) and makes you think twice about meeting up with people you have met on the internet. However, it should be said that it is not a comfortable story to say the least. It does, after all, revolve around paedophilia and torture so just be aware of this before you watch it.

 Continually, 90% of the film contains just the two actors mentioned above and both are excellent in the film. Patrick Wilson manages to portray fear and pain incredibly well, whilst Ellen Page's slightly sadistic characterisation of a deeply disturbed teenager is both compelling and creepy at the same time.

 Whilst it may not be the best thriller I have ever seen, it certainly doesn't disappoint and I would recommend that people give it a go as long as they aren't phased by a little bit of light castration.

No comments:

Post a Comment