Wednesday 19 December 2012

The Muppets (2011)


 During my childhood, The Muppet Movie was one of my favourite films of all time. There must have been a period when I watched it several times a week and knew all the words to 'Rainbow Connection'. The only other film that came close was probably 'A Goofy Movie' but that's another story. When I heard that they were making a new Muppets movie I was slightly apprehensive, mainly just hoping that they wouldn't ruin it.

 The new movie follows Walter, a Muppets super fan who takes a trip to LA to visit the famous Muppet theatre only to discover it in a state of disrepair and is about to be sold to an oil tycoon who plans to destroy it.Walter, with the help of his friends Gary (Jason Segel) and Mary (Amy Adams) must bring the old Muppet gang back together so they can perform together one last time and raise the money to save the theatre.

 To start with, this is not one of the best Muppet movie. Maybe it is my age now compared to then, but this doesn't compare to classics such as The original Muppet movie or A Muppet Christmas Carol. However, that isn't to say that it is a bad film. In fact it is very good. It still has the feel of a Muppet movie and the songs are a great addition to a good story with lots of fun and humour. I also must admit the when they sang Rainbow Connection, I may have let out a squeak of excitement (my house-mates will vouch for that).

 The performances are also good, although both Segel's and Adams' acting is very OTT and excessively happy, but it works with the story and the fact it is a Muppets film so I cant complain too much. Like I said the songs are great, with 'Man or Muppet' being a highlight, the song that won the movie and Oscar. In typical Muppet style, the interaction between the puppets and actors is flawless (although I still find it strange when you see the puppets legs) and overall it's just pretty great. Definitely worth seeing if you fancy a film to remind you of just how incredible the Muppets really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment