Thursday 27 December 2012

Breaking Dawn Pt 2 (2012)


This is another one that I was taken to see with one of my friends as they couldn't find anyone to go with them, although this time I actually had to pay £6 to get in. I am not particularly a fan of twilight but at the same time I am not one of those people who will take every available opportunity to mock and ridicule those who do like it. In my opinion, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes alright, the acting isn't great and the story is a bit convoluted and the vampires sparkle and all that stuff but, at the end of the day, the franchise isn't that horrific.

 This particular twilight film is the fifth and final installment from the four book series and continues on from the birth of Bella (Kristen Stewart) and Edward's daughter, Renesmee (I really hope no actual child has been given this name) and Bella's transformation into a newborn vampire. The Volturi are lead to believe that Renesmee is a immortal child (which apparently isn't good as they have a tendency to kill everything) and set off to destroy Bella, Edward (Robert Pattinson) and the rest of the Cullen clan. To protect their daughter and themselves, Bella and Edward must gather as much help as they can to help fight the Volturi and their leader, Aro (Michael Sheen).

 I must admit, I saw this in a tiny cinema screen that held about 30 people and it only contained 5 people for this screening so my hopes weren't particularly high before this film started. As it went on, my hopes weren't raised that much higher. The acting is very typical of the twilight series so if you think the acting was bad in the first few, you aren't going to be pleasantly surprised by this one. The special effects were also not as good as I had expected them to be, with the computer generated baby Renesmee being somewhat scary at times. Also there is a rather odd thing involving a golden glow which is just weird, but you will have to see it to understand what I mean.

 However, there were some redeeming aspects. Firstly, the fight seen at the end was pretty spectacular compared to those in the other movies. Strangely, seeing many people have their heads ripped off really made the movie for me. Also, the touches added to really bring the franchise to a close were really well done and  almost moving for those who really enjoy the books and the movies (my friend told me that this is the case). Inclusions such as using the final line of the book in the final shot and showing all of the actors throughout the series in the credits really made it feel like a good, appropriate ending to the series.

 Overall, if you like the Twilight movies then you will definitely like this one (especially if you go and see them purely for Taylor Lautner and his apparent inability to wear a shirt for longer than 10 minutes), and it is a fitting end to the series. In my opinion, it was nothing special, just one of those films that washes over you and you don't really have to think about too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment