Saturday 1 December 2012

Looper (2012)


In the year 2074, the mob are using time travel to send people back in time to have them murdered by gunman 30 years in the past. The film follows Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), one of the hired gunmen who one day is assigned to shoot his future self (Bruce Willis). Future Joe escapes and sets out on a mission to kill the future mob boss while he is still a child, and current Joe decides to try and protect the child and his mother (Emily Blunt).

I had no idea what to expect when I went to see this film. Some people had told me it was amazing and this decades version of 'The Matrix', some people had told me it was awful, and others told me they had no idea what they had just seen. With all that in mind (and the fact that I was seeing the film for free thanks to being a member of the student cinema), I sat down and watched with anticipation.

I must say I was very impressed. The film manages to explain quite a complicated story in very easy to understand terms and in an interesting way. The film moves at a fast pace, switching between the stories of the two versions of Joe and how they interact and link together. The action sequences are good and are enhanced by the outstanding special effects which show a very plausible version of the future (as much as film involving telekinesis and time travel can).

All the actors give good performances, particularly Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Emily Blunt who work off each other very well. The only down side, and in my mind it is quite a big one, is the prosthetics that Gordon-Levitt wears throughout the film. I am assuming these are to make him look like a younger version of Bruce Willis, and to be completely honest, they look nothing alike. It is kind of distracting and seems unnecessary for the purposes of the film.

Overall, if you can get past the strange prosthetics, then this is without doubt a great film and possible one of the better films I have seen this year. Definitely worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment