Sunday 31 March 2013

Safe House (2012)


 So now it is the Easter holidays which means I am at home with my Dad. This in turn means that I will probably end up watching a bunch of random films that I have no desire to actually see at all, mainly action films (he is a man after all). 'Safe House' is the first of what I'm sure will be many.

 Matt Weston (Ryan Reynolds) is a newbie CIA agent in charge of a safe house in Cape Town, South Africa. He has never had any experience with 'guests', so when rogue agent Tobin Frost (Denzel Washington) is brought to him for interrogation, he really doesn't have a clue what he is letting himself in for. When terrorists try and kidnap Frost, it is up to Weston to keep him secure and in CIA custody until further  help can arrive.

 This is a typical action movie. It is nothing special, but at the same time it is not a bad film. The action sequences are fast paced and adrenaline fuelled, and the story itself keeps the viewer guessing at every turn. Having said that, if you have seen your fair share of action movies, especially agency based action movies, it's pretty easy to figure out what is going on and what will happen in the end, or at the very least who is 'good' and who is 'bad'. For me (as someone who has seen more of these types of films than I would ever care to mention) it was obvious pretty much from the beginning what the end of the movie was going to be. I guess it is difficult to be original with this kind of film and I have to give props to the writers for trying, but they didn't quite manage to get there.

 With regards to the acting, both the lead actors do a pretty good job. They cope with the action sequences well and are convincing in their roles (there is something about Denzel Washington that just makes him a very effective bad guy). Ryan Reynolds also manages to go beyond his usual style of being the 'funny guy' within the action movies, but I have to say I think I prefer him in those roles. Whilst this was a good performance from him, I don't think it was his greatest attempt.

 Overall, it is a good action movie with suspense and drama, but it is nothing special. There is little originality to the story or any of the action sequences so if you are an action movie regular, you may find this one a bit disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment