Saturday 30 March 2013

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)


 I rented this film from LoveFilm and it arrived at home whilst I was still at University. My Dad didn't realise that I had put it on the list so he watched it himself and, after watching it for 10 minutes, proceeded to turn it off and ring me to tell me about how he couldn't continue because it was so bad. After persuading him to keep it at home until I got back, I hung up and all my high hopes that I had for this film were well and truly gone.

 Moonrise Kingdom is the one of the latest films from Wes Anderson, director of other greats such as 'The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou' and 'The Royal Tenenbaums', and his slightly off centre style is continued with this film. Sam and Suzy, two children who are pen pals, live on a remote island in New England. Sam, a member of the local scout group, decides the young couple should run away together which prompts the rest of the island to form a search party to go and look for them.

 It is safe to say that this film is jam packed full of names. Bruce Willis plays the local policeman, Edward Norton appears as the scout master and Suzy'z parents are portrayed by Bill Murray and Frances McDormand. Smaller roles are also occupied by Tilda Swinton, Harvey Keitel and Jason Schwartzman making this film well and truly stuffed to the brim with great acting talent. Each characters has a slightly odd edge to them, but that is no surprise when it comes to a Wes Anderson movie, and every actor manages to shine in this movie in their own individual way. I wouldn't go so far as to say anyone gives their greatest performance, but everyone fits into their roles with ease.

 The movie also introduces new talent, Jared Gilman (Sam) and Kara Hayward (Suzy). I do believe I have said before that I don't particularly enjoy watching kids acting in films (and if I haven't, sorry, but at least now you know). It's pretty rare to see a child in a movie who is completely convincing in the role (they are children after all) and this movie was no exception. On the other hand, I have seen a hell of a lot worse than this. For kids, these two do pretty well, as do their companions playing the other scout boys. They certainly didn't ruin the film which, coming from me, is something at least.

 To get back to what my Dad was saying, I can see where he was coming from. The film does take a while to get going properly, and the opening credit sequence is rather slow and boring. But once you get past that point, it is an endearing, charming and quirky little film. It has it's funny moments, it's dramatic moments, and some moments that are just down right weird, but other than that it's a good film. Good job I managed to persuade my Dad to keep it (he still won't agree to watch it though).

No comments:

Post a Comment