Wednesday 27 February 2013

Seven Psychopaths (2012)


 For the end of week 7 at the student cinema, this was the film of choice. 'Seven Psychopaths' is about a screenwriter, Marty (Colin Farrell), trying to write a movie entitled 'Seven Psychopaths', but is struggling to get any form of inspiration. He enlists his friend Billy (Sam Rockwell) and Billy's friend Hans (Christopher Walken) to try and help him get started, but Billy and Hans run a dog kidnapping business on the side (yes you read that right). When they accidentally kidnap the dog of an insane gangster (Woody Harrelson), all hell breaks loose and the three of them run to the desert to escape his wrath and attempt to finish the screenplay.

  So I saw this after a pretty long day. I had had a pretty difficult seminar in the morning (all about drugs), my third year project was on the brink of going very wrong over lunch, and in the afternoon I had rather stupidly agreed to go shopping with a man. To all those men who say shopping with women is bad, you should try going through what I went through and see if you feel the same then. I don't think anyone has ever taken so long to pick out a jumper and a shirt. Anyway, I am deviating from the point. This was the perfect film to see at the end of a crappy day. If you like 'In Bruges' then you will love this.

 I like this kind of humour. Some of it is overtly funny, some of it is sarcastic and some of it is just plain weird. It also perfectly propels the story to it's ending and allows for each of the psychopath's stories to be incorporated into the film. The story is just pretty brilliant overall really. Martin McDonagh (writer and director) has definitely outdone himself with this one, and dare I say that it may even be better than 'In Bruges', which has also wrote and directed.

 The inclusion of Colin Farrell into the fold was a wise choice yet again. I don't think I have seen him better than when he is in this type of film. In my opinion, I would say that he is the joint highlight of the film, alongside Sam Rockwell, who is freakishly good at playing an absolute nut job (although he is a pretty good actor overall so I shouldn't really be surprised). The two of them together really make this film, and when you add Christopher Walken and Woody Harrelson into it, things can only get better (sorry for the D:ream reference, it wasn't intentional).

 If you get the chance to see this movie, I would definitely take it. It is hilarious as well as completely strange and is one of the best films I have seen so far this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment