Wednesday 27 February 2013

Pitch Perfect (2012)

 As I have said before, I love a good musical. However, I feel I must also admit that I quite like Glee. Please don't judge me too harshly, but it's a pretty good TV show with some decent music. Therefore, as Pitch Perfect was sold to me as the college version of Glee, I felt like I should probably go and see it. So when it came on at the student cinema, that's exactly what I did (although I went on my own which wasn't too fun but hey ho).

 Like I said, Pitch Perfect is essentially Glee but in a University environment. Beca (Anna Kendrick) starts her freshman year of college determined to drop out after the first term. However, after joining The Bellas, the all female acapella singing group, her new friends make college more enjoyable, as well as the interest of a singer in the rival all male acapella singing group, The Treblemakers.

 First of all, if you like Glee then you will definitely enjoy this. But even if the thought of Glee makes you want to tear your ears off, you will still like this movie. The music is very well done, especially for acapella versions, and includes everything from classic old songs to current top 40's.

 With regards to the story, it's pretty predictable. Girl goes to college and hates it. Joins a club that are a bit crap, but by the end they are great and have won whatever competition they are entered in. Oh, and also the love interest from the rival group that is initially out of bounds ends up working out in the end. Classic boy gets girl really. Whilst this kind of ruins the parts of the film where they are trying to suggest the group won't make it, it doesn't really matter. The comedy is so funny that the predictability of the storyline kind of falls by the wayside. Everyone is on top comedic form but, yet again, the show is well and truly stolen by Rebel Wilson. Her improvisation and physical comedy are outstanding and I'm sure any film she is in in the future will be hilarious. I am a fan.

 Overall, I really enjoyed this film. It really blends comedy and musicality well and makes for a fun and enjoyable watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment