Saturday 26 October 2013

Now You See Me (2013)


 'Now You See Me' is advertised as a movie about magic and I guess in a way it is (which is kind of why I watched the film. Please don't judge me). However, it also has a really good twist at the end (that I didn't see coming at all) with elements of drama, cop film, comedy and mystery. Therefore, I will try and review this movie without giving anything away so you can enjoy the movie just as much as I did.

Four magicians with differing specialities are brought together by a mystery magic expert and given a secret assignment involving using ever so slightly illegal methods to bring down various corporate people and fight against the FBI. Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson and Dave Franco play the four magicians managed by Michael Caine. However, they must compete with a famous critic renowned for revealing magicians secrets (Morgan Freeman) as well as being constantly chased by an FBI agent (Mark Ruffalo) and an Interpol detective (Melanie Laurent). That's probably about all I can tell you without ruining tricks or giving away the twist at the end of the story, so sorry but that will have to do.

Considering that this film turned out completely not how I was expecting, I really, really enjoyed it! There are twists and turns all the way through with a pretty huge reveal right at the end which really changes how you view the entire movie. Being the epic nerd I am, I also really liked the magic element. I love films like this and 'The Prestige' (if you haven't seen it then what are you doing? Go watch! Now!) and this movie definitely managed to keep up the standard of good magic movies (and before you say anything, I know there are some pretty horrific magic movies out there, but I am going to pretend they don't exist for the purpose of this review). The magic seems almost possible, even though it probably isn't, and ranges from close up, sleight of hand magic tricks to big theatrical events.

 The acting is also great and it's good to see great legendary actors alongside some of the current crops greatest talents. The only thing I will say about this movie is that looking back on it; I don't really see the purpose of Melanie Laurent's character in the movie. Maybe it is just my memory playing up, but everything that happens in the film would've happened whether she was there or not and, overall, she doesn't seem to really add anything to the movie.

 Other than that this film is genuinely a great movie. It keeps you guessing, is fun to watch and is very entertaining from start to finish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment