Friday 14 June 2013

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)


 As someone who has always enjoyed films I feel I should probably be ashamed to admit that I had never seen 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' until a few weeks ago. As one of the classic teen movies of the 80's, Ferris (Matthew Broderick) pulls a sicky and basically has one of the best days a teenage boy could ever have with his friends. Whilst being pursued by his principal, Ferris 'borrows' a Ferrari, takes part in the Chicago parade and many other ridiculous things to complete his perfect day off.

 Having seen this film I can certainly see why people enjoy it so much, especially teenagers. It's fun, doesn't take itself too seriously and is most teenagers dream day. Matthew Broderick is great in this film and fits perfectly into the role of the laid-back, trouble causing Ferris. Alan Ruck and Mia Sara who plays the friends that join him complement Ferris perfectly, with Cameron (Ruck) being the stressed over-worrier and Sloane (Sara), the girlfriend that tags along with the two best friends.

 However, whilst I definitely see why this film is so revered, I have a few problems with it. Firstly is the storyline with the principal. It's just annoying and doesn't really contribute anything to the story whatsoever. It's basically just a grown man making an arse of himself trying to prove that Ferris is lying about being ill. Now don't get me wrong, I understand why this is in there, but in reality, it is just ridiculous. Also, for a good chunk of the film, I just wanted to slap the lead character. At points it felt like the 'laid-back, take it easy' attitude was overdone and made Ferris an arrogant annoying little shit. Assuming that throughout the film you are supposed to be on Ferris' side, I didn't feel like that for a decent proportion of the movie.

 Overall, it's an alright film and maybe I should've watched it when I was a teenager. Maybe I would've viewed it more favourably. I would still suggest that if you haven't seen it, you should watch it. Even if it is purely for the fact that it is 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' and according to my friend, everyone should see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment