Wednesday 15 May 2013

Life Of Pi (2012)


 So after 4 weeks of finishing off my dissertation and getting back into the swing of uni life, I finally have some time to write up a few reviews of the films I have seen since I got back. The first is 'Life Of Pi', a film of a remarkable story about a boy's survival after a ship that is moving him, his family and their zoo wrecks in the middle of the Pacific ocean. Pi, the boy who survives, finds himself stuck on a lifeboat with a wild Bengal tiger for company. The film, based on the best selling novel by Yann Martel, follows their journey of survival, both of the sea and of each other.

 To start with, there is definitely a reason why this film was so successful during this years award season. Cinematically, it is pretty epic. Without a doubt this is one of the best films I have seen that has used the full scope of special effects to enhance the story and raise it up to a whole new level. Whilst often slightly over-exaggerated and unrealistic this just propels the film and the fantasy along. The whole point of the film is that you are supposed to doubt the truth in the tale, so going a bit overboard with the effects just reflects this element of disbelief and imagination. It is genuinely impressive to watch for the special effects alone, especially the animation of the tiger which almost seems not animated at all.

 In terms of the story itself, I came to this film not really knowing much about the book. I own the book but have never gotten round to reading it so only knew the basic outline of what happens. I am told by others that it stays true to the novel and lives up to the success of the book, which is something that many adaptations have been known to struggle with. This particular adaptation works very well as a film, and the screenwriters seem to have done a good job with the transfer from page to screen. The pace is kept up throughout the movie and the emotional element of the story is well balanced at all times.The bustle of India is well contrasted with the loneliness and desolation of being stranded at sea and it is clear to see why Ang Lee took home the Best Director Oscar.

 The acting is also great considering the majority of the film is just one boy on his own in the middle of nowhere. Suraj Sharma manages to hold his own in the film and avoids the trap of an audience becoming bored with just the one character. This film is anything but boring. I am glad my friend bought it, I am glad she made me watch it, and I would encourage other people to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment